Archon's Key Features
Archon is a unified platform for archival description and access. It provides both a way to record descriptive information about collections and digital objects and a means to view, search, and browse that infomation in a fully-functional public web site.
Archon's public interface always shows the most current information because it is updated automatically when archival staff add or edit records using an 'administrative interface.' (MARC and EAD records are similarly updated when a staff member makes any changes.) Once information has been entered, staff members need do nothing more to make the information instantly accessible, searchable, and browsable.
Specific Feature Lists
- Simultaneously search descriptions of archival materials, electronic records, and digital objects.
- View, print, and search finding aids for individual collections.
- View, download and use digital objects/electronic records.
- Easily navigate from digital objects to archival descriptions and vice versa.
- Browse materials by collection title, digital object title, controlled subject heading, creator authority record, or archival record group.
- Jump easily between collections and digital objects sharing the same subject, creator, or archival record group.
Archival staff can:
- Create standards-compliant collection descriptions and full finding aids using web forms.
- Describe the series, subseries, files, items, etc. within each collection.
- Organize collections* into record groups and subgroups based on provenance or function.
- Develop creator authorities and controlled subject lists, and link them to collections and digital objects.
- Track locations for containers or groups of containers.
- Upload digital objects/electronic records or link archival descripitions to external URLs.
- edit descriptive information directly from an enhanced public interface by clicking the edit icon: .
- Use an integrated help system by clicking the help buttons: .
- Export MARC and EAD records (for importation to other systems).
- List unprocessed materials in an 'accessions manager'.
Archon administrators can:
- Define "Repository Level" information such as address, contact information, and overall arrangement scheme.
- Define record groups or other classifications.
- Customize the public interface by tailoring some easy-to-modify HTML/PHP themes.
- Create new output templates to show the data in any way you choose (2 such templates are included with the current Archon Distribution packet).
- Add edit, or delete user accounts, allowing or denying people access to the staff interface.
- Batch import data from MARC, EAD (XML) or CSV format.
*The term "collection" is used in Archon simply as shorthand, to mean any group of archival records or personal papers managed as a discrete unit by a repository or manuscript library. Archon is flexible enough to be used for organically-related records, manuscript collections, or both. The display of "collection" labels in the public interface can be tailored to reflect specific repository needs.